Friday, February 28, 2014

Hannah Montana



Hannah Montana

            After perusing the Children’s Department at the local library, when I came across Hannah Montana I thought there couldn’t be a better show to evaluate and review.  Lucky for me I was able to find the first season of the series easily. One of the biggest and most influential series for “tween” aged girls. Every girl from second grade into early middle school at the school my mother taught was obsessed with the hit show starring Miley Cyrus. The basis of the show centers on Miley Stewart (portrayed by pop star Miley Cyrus) a teenage girl who leads a double life as a normal teenage girl and the pop sensation Hannah Montana. The show became an instant success and proceeded with three more seasons and is considered one of the Disney Channels greatest shows geared towards tween aged girls.
            Now for someone who has no younger siblings I didn’t know much about the show at all. In fact I thought the character of “Hannah Montana” was a dream or fantasy of the Miley Stewart. After watching the first few episodes, I was clearly in the wrong, Hannah Montana is an actual character as well as Miley Stewart. I was a little shocked to learn that within the very first couple episodes Miley’s two friends find out her true identity but are sworn to keep it secret until the right moment presents itself for Miley to share who she really is. Although, a famous pop star, Miley is a normal teenage girl facing normal day to day experiences. This is perhaps why there was such a huge following of the show, many young girls felt they could relate to this character. However the consequence with this show is the idea of wanting fame and the celebrity lifestyle. Very much of our culture focuses on the obsession to be famous, whatever that may mean. I only watched a few episodes of Hannah Montana, but I don’t know if this is show that should be encouraged for young girls to watch. Although the show addresses the normal lives, does it also promote the celebrity lifestyle and encourage young girls to focus on wanting fame and publicity? Maybe I’ll finish the series to see how this question is handled through the show!  

(images via pinterest)

1 comment:

  1. hey you have very good stuff in your blog...

    http://movieworldmovie.blogspot.com/

    http://toptenamazingthings.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete